405. Reconsideration of Material: Procedures and Form
The Karl Junginger Memorial Library recognizes that the choice of library materials by library users is an individual matter. While an individual may reject materials for himself/herself, he/she cannot exercise censorship to restrict access to the materials by others. Recognizing that a diversity of materials may result in some requests for reconsideration, the following procedures have been developed to ensure that objections or complaints are handled in an attentive and consistent manner. Once an item has been approved for purchase, based on the Selection of Materials Policy -401 of the Board of Trustees and the criteria for selection, it will not be automatically removed upon request.
Any individual expressing an objection to or concern about library material should receive respectful attention from the staff member first approached. This staff member should use his or her own best judgment in attempting to answer the concerns or clarify the situation. If the individual is not satisfied with the explanation received, the staff member should offer the options of speaking with a supervisor or filling out a “Request for Reconsideration” form. He/she may ask for reconsideration in the following manner:
1. The concerned patron will be offered the opportunity to discuss his/her concern with the Library Director and/or staff person responsible for selection. If the patron is dissatisfied with the discussion and wishes to pursue the issue, he/she will be required to complete in full and submit a “Request for Reconsideration” form.
2. The Library Director will review the “Request for Reconsideration” form, the item itself, and research any available reviews on the item.
3. Within 60 days of receiving the “Request for Reconsideration” form, the Library Director will communicate his or her decision in writing to the party seeking reconsideration.
4. If the individual desires further action: he/she may submit a written appeal within 7 calendar days to the Library Board of Trustees, requesting a hearing before the Board. If a hearing is granted, the individual will be notified of when he/she may address the Board. The Board of Trustees reserves the right to limit the length of presentation and number of speakers at the hearing. The Board will determine whether the request for reconsideration has been handled in accordance with stated policies and procedures of the Karl Junginger Memorial Library. On the basis of this determination, the Board may vote to uphold or override the decision of the Director.
Karl Junginger Memorial Library
“Request for Reconsideration Form”
The Library values your opinion. In order to have your request receive full and careful consideration, you must have read, viewed or listened to the entire work. Please answer every question completely and return this form to the library. Once completed, this form becomes a matter of public record: (Wisconsin Statutes 19.32).
CITY _________________________ STATE____________________ ZIP ___________
1. Library Material(s) Concerned
____ Visual Format
____ Audio Format
____ Library Program/Display
2. TITLE _______________________________________________________________
AUTHOR or PRODUCER ______________________________________________
3. WHAT BROUGHT THIS ITEM TO YOUR ATTENTION?
4. HAVE YOU READ/LISTENED/VIEWED THE MATERIAL IN ITS ENTIRETY?
5. HAVE YOU READ THE KARL JUNGINGER MEMORIAL LIBRARY’S SELECTION OF MATERIAL POLICY?
6. PLEASE COMMENT ON THE ITEM AS A WHOLE AS WELL AS BEING SPECIFIC ABOUT THOSE MATERS THAT CONCERN YOU.
7. WHAT ACTION WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THE LIBRARY TAKE REGARDING THIS ITEM? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
8. DO YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR OTHER MATERIALS THAT THE LIBRARY SHOULD CONSIDER ON THIS SUBJECT? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SIGNATURE______________________________________ DATE ________________
Amended: 07/01/81; 01/10/90; 03/25/04